We are currently seeking a full-time Sous Chef for a new restaurant located in Waikiki Market, opening this fall in the Lilia Waikiki.
About the Store:
Waikiki Market is coming to the Lilia Waikiki this fall! Designed to be a destination for visitors and locals alike, the 27,000 sq. ft. Waikiki Market will showcase Hawaii’s favorite foods through various prepared food venues and will include a restaurant/bar on the 1st and 2nd floors. Waikiki Market will be the only full-service grocery store in the Waikiki area and will present Hawaii’s diverse culture and passion for great food through its offerings.
The Culinary Sous Chef oversees all culinary staff, maintains product standards, enforces operating procedures, and ensures consistent daily operations. Candidate would need to be knowledgeable about cooking techniques & procedures, systems operations, staffing strategies, as well as safety and sanitation guidelines. Candidate will work directly with the Chef de Cuisine in all aspects of the operation; will be enabled to make decisions in the absence of the chef. As a Culinary Sous Chef, you will handle the operations when the Chef de Cuisine is out. You also have the authority to make store and level decisions and the ability to execute disciplinary actions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee daily operations alongside the leads. Make changes as necessitated by the needs of the business.
- Delegate responsibilities and assignments to employees, appropriate to their skills and ability.
- Ensure that all items are to spec, dated appropriately, packed, sealed, and labeled correctly.
- Provide daily quality checks on all products and documents accordingly.
- Organize all employees and ensure shop is clean and in an orderly fashion before leaving at the end of your shift.
- Collaborate with Chef de Cuisine and SFOC Chef on on-going menu development for our standard menus, seasonal menu changes, internal menu tastings, and special events.
- Take on new assignments with an eager and helpful demeanor.
- Responsible for proper ordering and inventory control.
- Minimum 2-3 years of related experience.
- AOS Culinary School graduate or related training.
- Passionate culinarian with great palette and sense of presentation.
- Ability to multitask, adapt to change and work well in environment with time constraints.
- Detail-oriented with good organizational skills, performing work accurately and efficiently while meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated effective leadership skills including delegation skills.
- Ability to meet budgets including labor, food and applicable direct operating costs.
- Possesses administrative skills: knowledge of spreadsheet, database, word processing programs, general office equipment: copier, fax, scanner.
- Able to work independently and on a team.
- Willingness to be open, to learn and take on new responsibilities.
- Able to lift 50 lbs. repeatedly.
- Ability to work flexible schedule including weekend and holidays in order to accommodate business levels.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must comply with all company policies and requirements including the COVID-19 vaccination policy.
- TB Clearance required.
Benefits include competitive wages, medical insurance, paid vacation and sick time, 401k retirement plan with a company match, and more!
To apply, please attach your resume as a PDF via this posting or visit waikikimarkethawaii.com/info/careers.