Veteran Food Service Coordinator
Veteran Food Service Coordinator
The Veteran Food Service Coordinator for United States Veterans Initiative is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the kitchen and for the coordination of food preparation services delivered for the veterans in the programs. This position reports directly to the Veteran Service Manager or Program Manager (depending on site location).
FLSA Classification: Exempt
- Maintain sanitation, health, and safety standards in work areas.
- Ensure every person handling food has been trained by the Health Department and possesses a State Health/Food Card.
- Re-heat prepared food received from vendors and serve at proper temperatures as regulated by the State Health Department.
- Operate large-volume cooking equipment such as ovens and steam tables.
- Supervise the cleaning of the kitchen workstation.
- Verify that the prepared food meets requirements for quality and quantity.
- Wash, cut, and prepare foods designated for serving (i.e. salads, fruits, and breads).
- Order and stock supplies that arrive from the vendor.
- Maintain adequate quantities of all foods needed to ensure the nutritional values of the veterans being met.
- Manage inventory and delivery of supplies.
- Schedule activities and equipment use with managers, using information about daily menus to help coordinate cooking times.
- Plan and work within a budget which considers the kitchen’s financial position and strives to become more economical without sacrificing quality.
- Supervise the food handler’s workstation and the kitchen crew workstations.
- Clean food preparation areas, cooking surfaces and utensils.
- Help to reintegrate the veterans in the program back to their highest level of independence by introducing them to basic culinary principles and Health Department standards.
- Pick up donations as assigned by the veteran Services Manager.
- Any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Culinary training certification preferred.
- Minimum three years in culinary field required.
- One-year supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience with kitchen maintenance.
- Experience working with homeless or veterans preferred.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with a diverse group of residents, staff, and community members.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must possess State Food Handlers Health Card where applicable.
- Must be knowledgeable of food handling procedures and protocols.
- Valid driver’s license required. Must meet company insurance requirements and complete a provided driver training course.
U.S.VETS subscribes to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. It is our policy to provide employment, compensation, and other benefits related to employment based on qualifications, without regard to ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, U.S.VETS intends to comply fully with applicable federal, state, and local employment laws and the information requested on this application will be used only for purposes consistent with those laws.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT - REQUEST FOR REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION
In accordance with requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is U.S.VETS’ policy to provide reasonable accommodation to applicants who request accommodation during the application process in order that the applicant may be given a full and fair opportunity to be considered for employment. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, you or someone else may submit your request to U.S.VETS in any of the following ways: by telephone 213-542-2600 and ask for the HR Assistant]; or by U.S. Mail or hand delivery: U.S.VETS, 800 West 6th Street, Suite 1505, Los Angeles, CA 90017, Attention: Human Resources – Job Applicant Request