Medical Support Assistant
Medical Support Assistant (Office Automation)
- Serves as the liaison between the patient and all other providers in the multi-disciplinary health care team. Promotes good customer relations by greeting and assisting patients, and monitoring patient flow. Answers patient questions and/or concerns accurately and efficiently while treating all patients in a professional and courteous manner. Follows up with patients regarding questions and requests for information or assistance. Provides assistance to patients and families in contacting Social Work Services, chaplains, health benefits advisors, and other command resources.
- Coordinates and books patient appointments through personal contact and via telephone. Initiates, tracks, and forwards telephone consults from beneficiaries to the appropriate provider. Responsible for initiating and carrying out a variety of clerical duties associated with patient care and treatment in an outpatient clinic.
- Works closely with the medical and nursing staff providing clerical and administrative support. Performs various administrative duties as directed including, but not limited to, photocopying; laboratory and radiology result retrieval; preparing memorandums, personnel actions, or other official letters for distribution; assists in the preparation of lecture notes and presentations. Maintains team calendars and updates daily using Microsoft Outlook. Runs daily schedules for team members and pulls charts when appropriate. Prepares minutes and reports in a timely manner.
Prepares medical records for providers and Medical Record Department, medical record preparation includes, but is not limited to creating outpatient records and adding necessary charting forms. Incumbent is responsible for tracking records, filing laboratory and/or procedure results, maintaining convenience files. Utilizes various computer systems to update patient data and information at the unit and organizational levels.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ensure customer eligibility for care.
- Schedule appropriate customer appointments.
- Receive customers and visitors as the initial point of contact.
- Enter, manipulate, and/or retrieve information and data from automated systems.
- Utilize multi-line telephone system to screen calls, determine nature of call, and redirect as needed.