Audit Senior Associate
Job Title: Audit Senior Associate
Overview of Responsibilities
Audit Senior Associates are assigned as the Team Leader or In-Charge Accountant (ICA) of engagement teams of various sizes. The ICA is responsible for all aspects of fieldwork, including planning, day to day management, on-the-job training and supervision of the assigned staff, and completion of all client deliverables. The ICA may be responsible for aspects of several engagements concurrently (for example: planning on engagement A, fieldwork on engagement B, and wrap-up on engagement C), and may also be assigned to other projects or departments as needed.
The ICA is expected to have sufficient technical skills to be able to identify and resolve all but the most unusual accounting and auditing matters. When unusual matters arise, the ICA is expected to do appropriate research, outline the issues for the manager, suggest a solution and document the agreed-upon resolution.
A Senior Associate may also be assigned in a staff role on certain large engagements, and in these instances, is expected to be able to work independently, handle more complex technical areas, and assist the ICA with supervision of less-experienced staff.
A Senior Associate must display professional conduct at all times, showing confidence and ease in the presence of staff and client representatives.
A Senior Associate is also responsible for mentoring and developing less-experienced staff, and as such, serves as a role model.
Audit teams perform most of their work in the field, on the clients’ premises. Travel may be required for varying periods of time. Driving is required in connection with off-island engagements.
Overtime is required, as necessary to complete assignments.
- Gain an understanding of the clients’ business and industry through review of prior year information (if available), discussions with the engagement manager, interviews with key client personnel, and review of audit guides and other reference materials
- Coordinate with the client and the engagement manager to develop the audit strategy and prepare the planning document
- Develop the time budget and detailed staff assignments, keeping in mind the experience level and developmental interests of each assigned staff
- Manage the engagement team planning meeting to ensure that the engagement strategy is effectively communicated to the team
- Prepare confirmations and client schedule requests, and monitor completion status
Staff Development and Supervision:
- Assign and monitor own and team members’ work to ensure the most efficient and effective use of staff time
- Provide ongoing daily instruction, on-the-job training and coaching for all members of the team to promote their professional development
- Promptly review staff’s workpapers and provide constructive developmental feedback
- Identify and appropriately resolve most issues that arise in the course of fieldwork
- Meet with each assigned staff at the conclusion of the engagement to provide summary feedback and discussion
- Serve as on-site liaison/point person between the engagement team and the client
- Maintain ongoing communications with key client personnel re status of engagements, issues encountered, etc.
- Develop strong working relationship with key client personnel
- Effectively communicate with client to obtain information necessary to complete the engagement with a minimum of disruption to client
Technical and Administrative:
- Maintain constant communications with the engagement manager, keeping manager well informed of engagement status and issues
- Promptly inform the manager of anticipated variances between budget and expected actual time
- Demonstrate familiarity with various technical reference materials and apply them appropriately, presenting suggested solutions to issues or problems referred to the manager.
- Prepare the Critical Matters sheet for manager review
- Manage engagement fieldwork, wrap-up and preparation of client deliverables to meet client deadlines; anticipate delays or problems and make appropriate adjustments to ensure that client commitments are met
- Monitor actual staff time as compared to budget on a daily basis; inform manager promptly of variances from budgeted time
- Ensure that all work is performed and documented in accordance with industry and office standards
- Ensure that all workpapers are complete and have been reviewed and signed off by the manager
- Follow up with the client on any items that were open at the completion of fieldwork until all such items are complete and issues have been resolved satisfactorily
- Draft financial reports, allowing sufficient time for review and processing in order to meet deliverable deadlines
- Draft the Management Letter and other required auditor communications for manager and partner review; review and discuss with the client
- Prepare the actual to budget time summary, explaining any significant variances
- Prepare the preliminary time budget for next year’s audit, based on an understanding of the situation in the current year and any anticipated changes in the client’s circumstances
- Participate in the engagement wrap-up meeting
Essential Functions, Skills, Attributes
- Strong accounting technical skills: demonstrate competency in technical skills, work quality, and application of professional and firm standards
- Demonstrate familiarity with Firm reference and research products
- Strong written and verbal communication skills – ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English
- Strong interpersonal skills - able to interact comfortably with staff, clients, and managers
- Strong supervisory and coaching skills
- Strong engagement administration skills
- Leadership skills
- Ability to work well under pressure in order to meet deadlines
- Ability to prioritize effectively to manage concurrent responsibilities
- A continuous learning mentality: accept and learn from constructive feedback, participate in appropriate professional training sessions, keep current with relevant industry information, demonstrate an ability to learn and apply knowledge appropriately
- Flexibility – demonstrate an ability to adapt quickly and appropriately to rapidly changing circumstances
Bachelors or masters degree in accounting, or related major with strong accounting concentration. Must have earned 150 semester credits and meet all other educational requirements for CPA licensing.
Required Licenses, Certificates or Experience:
- Hold a current and valid certified public accountant’s license, or be working towards obtaining the license by taking and passing the state CPA exam
- If licensed, be a member in good standing with the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Proficient in the use of computers and computer accounting and auditing software programs, as well as word processing and spreadsheet applications
- A Senior Associate will generally have a minimum of 2-3 years of progressively greater audit experience in a public accounting environment.
- Bachelor's (Required)
- Accounting: 2 years (Required)
- Auditing: 2 years (Required)
- college degree with minimum 150 semester equivalent credits (Required)
- US work authorization (Required)
- CPA license (Preferred)
Kumabe HR is the emerging leader in staffing and human resources consulting in the state of Hawaii with a focus on temporary staffing, executive recruitment and human resource solutions. Expertise in these areas enable Kumabe HR to work with client organizations to reach their business objectives and realize their success. The Kumabe HR team brings extensive human resource knowledge to facilitate both current and future talent needs that provide our client organizations with an enviable competitive edge.
We have a deep understanding of the local business community, the recruiting environment, and Hawaii’s rich unique culture and management style. Our recruiting team has an extensive network of local and national sourcing channels and leading edge technology that enable us to find the best talent available for companies in the Hawaiian Islands. Our team boasts 65 years of HR, Recruiting, and Staffing expertise with many holding advanced degrees in human resource management. We are proud and committed to the work we do and the clients that we serve. Kumabe HR is uniquely positioned to not only find the next A-Player for your organization, but also evaluate that candidate’s background, personality, goals, and career aspirations to help promote a long-term “fit.”
For more information, visit our website: http://www.kumabehr.com/