For A Full Time Employment Counselor
Posting Name: Employment Counselor
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Schedule: Core Office Hours are from 7:45am – 4:30pm, Monday through Friday.
Compensation: Based on experience with a Benefits Package
Summary: As an employment counselor you will provide case management services for participants in self-sufficiency programs. Provides group and individual educational and vocational guidance services in line with the most current job trends and labor market needs to best assist participants in finding employment. Provides employment counseling, job placement, and job counseling/retention after placement to clients.
- Collects, organizes and analyzes information about individuals through records, tests, interviews and professional sources to appraise participants’ interests, aptitudes, abilities and personality characteristics for vocational planning and/or employment placements.
- Compiles and studies occupational, educational and economic information to aid participants in making and carrying out vocational and educational objectives
- Assists individuals to understand and overcome social and emotional problems.
- Selects or develops teaching aids such as handbooks, demonstration models, multimedia visual aids, reference works, and computer tutorials that support individualized training, group instruction and workshops
- Conducts orientation as well as preliminary and follow-up interviews with participants.
- Able to utilize and provide guidance to interpreters regarding expectations and needs for interpretation during workshops and trainings.
- Makes recommendations toward Individualized Service Plan (ISP) and employment goals.
- Responsible for gathering data from caseload on a monthly, quarterly, and as needed basis as it relates to agency and program policy and procedure for reporting purposes. Verifies that data is correct and submits reports to supervisor timely.
- Ability to deal effectively with unresponsive, uncooperative, difficult, and/or on occasion, irate participants. Demonstrate ability to deescalate individuals with tact and understanding.
- Assists participants to understand and overcome social, motivational, emotional, and other problems which could constitute a barrier to employment. Refers participants to outside resources as needed.
- Attends and participates in meetings, staff development sessions and in-service training as assigned.
- Assists in the preparation of Branch Reports for the Fair Hearing Process.
- Assists with participant, employer and funder satisfaction surveys on a quarterly basis.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university is preferred and/or
- One to two year’s related experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Familiarization with verbal de-escalation techniques and customer service
- Proficient in computer programs required using Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Social Work, or a related field
- One to two years related experience working with individuals with barriers
At Goodwill Hawaii our mission is simple, yet powerful, we help people with employment barriers reach their full potential and become self-sufficient. We are the third largest non-profit agency in Hawaii and our motivation is sustaining Hawaii’s community through the power of work. Last year we placed nearly 1,500 people into employment, resulting in $22 million in annual wages earned as a result of these job placements. Join the Goodwill Hawaii family and help strengthen our Hawaii community, one job at a time.
Goodwill Hawaii is committed to fully complying with all Equal Opportunity Employment and Affirmative Action laws and regulations. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law. We also foster a drug-free work environment.
And as always, we love to promote from within.
To be considered for a promotion or transfer you must meet the following criteria:
- Be employed in our current position for at least 90 days
- Received a satisfactory performance rating on your introductory and/or annual period performance review.
- Maintained attendance within the policy guidelines.
- Anyone on a performance/disciplinary probationary status will not be considered for a promotion or transfer.
Please submit your internal application through ADP Workforce Now Self Service Portal.
Referring someone? Awesome! Please be sure that they mention your name on the application.