FBI Special Agent - GS 1811-10 (External - All U.S. Citizens
FBI SPECIAL AGENT - GS 1811-10 (EXTERNAL - All U.S. Citizens)
WHO MAY APPLY
Apply for this and many other positions at www.fbijobs.gov.
This Special Agent (SA) posting is open to all qualified candidates within the United States (U.S.) and its territories. The FBI will use this to fill multiple vacancies around the country.
The mission of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is to protect the American people and uphold the Constitution of the United States.
We’re looking for people with unique skills, experiences, and backgrounds to become Special Agents. The one thing every SA shares is a belief in the mission of the FBI. They have the drive to help keep our nation safe, become part of something bigger than themselves, and take pride in making a difference in the communities they serve.
Special Agents are:
- Driven to find solutions to all types of problems.
- Compassionate and respectful to everyone they meet.
- Adaptable to a variety of situations, and able to keep a calm demeanor in the face of challenges.
- Well-spoken, well-written, and enjoy meeting, speaking and collaborating with people from different backgrounds.
- Physically fit and able to pass the physical fitness test (PFT).
You must meet the following requirements at the time of application:
Please click on the link and go to the listed page number, if applicable, for further explanation.
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Be between 23 and 36 years of age (Exceptions) [see page 16].
- Have a bachelor's degree or master’s degree [see page 17] from a U.S.-accredited college or university. You should not apply if you have not received your bachelor’s degree.
- Have at least two years of full-time professional work experience [see page 17] or one year if you have an advanced degree (master’s degree, doctorate degree).
- Possess a valid driver’s license and have six months of driving experience.
- Meet the physical requirements.
- Meet all FBI employment eligibility requirements.
- Be able to obtain a Top Secret Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) Clearance.
- If you are currently active duty in the military, you must be within 15 months of completing your service before submitting your application.
- Be available for assignment [see page 13] to any of the FBI’s 56 Field Offices.
The SA position requires significant commitment and dedication. SAs must:
- Adhere to the highest standards of conduct, especially in maintaining honesty and integrity.
- Work a minimum of 50 hours per week, which may include irregular hours, and be on-call 24/7, including holidays and weekends.
- Maintain a level of fitness necessary to effectively respond to life-threatening situations on the job.
- Carry a firearm and be willing to use deadly force, if necessary.
- Be willing and able to participate in arrests, execution of search warrants, and other dangerous assignments.
BEFORE YOU APPLY
- You should review the Special Agent Selection Process, All You Need to Know to Apply guide before you begin the application process. This guide provides helpful information about processing for the Special Agent position.
ABOUT THE APPLICATION PROCESS
The application process consists of the below-listed steps and you must successfully complete each step of the process. Those who meet the screening qualifications will be invited to complete the Phase I exam via an email notification.
- Step 1: Application and Screening [see page 7]
- Step 2: Phase I Test
- Step 3: Meet and Greet Session/Review Process [see page 7]
- Step 4: Phase II Test
- Step 5: Conditional Appointment Offer [see page 8]
- Step 6: Background Investigation [see page 8]
- Step 7: Official Physical Fitness Test (PFT) [see page 8]
- Step 8: Basic Field Training Course (BFTC)
- Finish: Career Placement [see page 9]
Required Documentation for your Application
Please review and submit all required documents below with your application. If you do not submit all required documents, your application will not be processed and will be discontinued.
All Special Agent applicants:
- Official or unofficial college transcript(s)
- A resume formatted in the Federal Resume Template that meets all guidelines outlined in the Federal Resume Guide
Current or former federal employees:
- SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action
Current or former members of the armed forces:
- DD-214, Member 4 copy or Service 2 copy
- Statement of Service (if not yet separated)
- DD-214, Member 4 copy or Service 2 copy
- VA letter dated within one year
- SF-15, Veterans' Preference form (optional)
- DO NOT attach a cover letter
- When scanning and uploading your document(s), please make sure that all pages are readable and facing upright in the same direction.
- DO NOT upload any picture files (JPEG, TIFF, PNG, BMP).