CHAMINADE UNIVERSITY OF HONOLULU
Chaminade University offers its students an education in a collaborative learning environment that prepares them for life, service and successful careers. Guided by its Catholic, Marianist and liberal arts educational traditions, Chaminade encourages the development of moral character, personal competencies, and a commitment to build a just and peaceful society. The University offers both the civic and church communities of the Pacific region its academic and intellectual resources in the pursuit of common aims.
I. Position Information
Title: Maintenance Worker
Division: Facilities Department
II. Position Summary
Maintenance Worker – I performs general maintenance, repair, and some janitorial work in and around the Chaminade campus buildings as well as the off-campus residence halls.
III. Reports to
Direct Reports to: Assistant Director of Facilities - Maintenance
Indirect Reports to: Director of Facilities
IV. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
General Maintenance (75% of work time)
- Performs general maintenance and repair work.
- Performs general carpentry such as constructing and repair of cabinets, shelves, framing, drywall work, siding, screens.
- Performs general plumbing work such as repair of leaky faucets, clogged sinks, changing washers, toilet repair, pipe replacement, snaking drain lines.
- Performs minor electrical work such as repair of electrical equipment, receptacles, plugs, light fixtures.
- Performs painting as required and other maintenance tasks such as masonry, moving furniture or boxes.
Janitorial, Grounds & Event Setup (20% of work time)
- Performs general cleaning tasks in the campus buildings, residence halls, and common areas, tree and hedge trimming, grass cutting, etc.
- Set up tents, tables, chairs for indoor and outdoor events on campus and sometimes off campus (such as Commencement).
Other (5% of work time)
- Performs other related duties as directed by the Assistant Director of Facilities – Maintenance or Director of Facilities.
This list of responsibilities is not exhaustive. The percentages regarding the essential and non-essential functions of the job are not precise and are only an approximation, which can vary on a day-to-day basis and are subject to change on an as-needed basis and/or in the sole discretion of supervisory management.
VI. Education and Experience
High School Graduate or GED
One to two years practical experience in general maintenance.
VII. Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
General knowledge of carpentry, plumbing, painting, and electrical work.
VIII. Physical Requirements
Duties involve light work in an office and community setting and requires a minimum of physical effort with intermittent sitting, standing, climbing stairs, and walking inclines. Must be able to lift 50 pounds, walk the campus with ease, and have excellent motor skills. Must have finger dexterity. Must be able to communicate information and ideas so that others will understand.
IX. Other Requirements
- Must have a valid Driver’s License.
- This is a full time, non-exempt Forty hours per week (M-F) will be the general rule. However, depending on the project cycles and workflow demands of the department, additional hours or workday schedule changes may be occasionally required. Must be willing and able to work occasional nights and weekends and a varying schedule.
- Observes all safety and health regulations and works in accordance with safe work procedures and policies of the University. Reports unsafe acts/conditions and injuries in a timely and proper manner.
X. Marianist Identity/Native Hawaiian & Pacific Island Serving
An expressed willingness to respect and support the Catholic and Marianist identity of Chaminade University of Honolulu and to perform all duties in a manner consistent with Marianist educational values and mission of the University. Understanding of and respect for the University’s designation as an institution that serves students of Native Hawaiian and Pacific Island ancestry.