Chaminade University offers its students an education in a collaborative learning environment
that prepares them for life, service and successful careers. Guided by its Catholic, Marianist and
liberal arts educational traditions, Chaminade encourages the development of moral character,
personal competencies, and a commitment to build a just and peaceful society. The University
offers both the civic and church communities of the Pacific region its academic and intellectual
resources in the pursuit of common aims.
I. Position Information
Title: Human Resources Generalist
Division/Office: Human Resources & Legal Affairs
Status: Full time, Exempt, May require work on weekends and evening
Classification: EAM III
II. Reporting Relationship(s)
This position reports to the VP of Human Resources & Legal Affairs.
III. Position Summary
The Human Resources Generalist will run the daily functions of the Human Resources
(HR) Department including onboarding and off-boarding, contracts administration,
benefits administration, answering HRIS questions, administer employee engagement
programs, and enforcing company policies and practices. This position is the face of the
department to the University and outside vendors.
IV. Duties and Responsibilities
● Reviews, tracks, and documents compliance with mandatory and non-mandatory training,
continuing education, and work assessments. This may include safety training, anti-
harassment training, professional licensure, and aptitude exams and certifications.
Manages faculty contracts in conjunction with the Provost Office.
● Assists with the hiring of qualified job applicants for open positions including hiring,
interviewing, creating and processing requisitions, and onboarding; collaborates with
department managers to make the hiring process seamless.
● Conducts or acquires background checks and employee eligibility verifications.
● Implements new hire orientation and employee recognition programs.
● Performs routine tasks required to administer and execute human resource programs
including but not limited to compensation, benefits, open enrollment, and leave;
performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and engagement; training
and development; onboarding and off-boarding.
● Handles employment-related inquiries from applicants, employees, and supervisors,
referring complex and/or sensitive matters to the appropriate staff.
● Attends and participates in employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and
investigations as needed.
● Performs administrative duties such as creating check requests, reconciling bills, ensuring
contracts and invoices from various vendors are tracked and paid.
● Maintains the HRIS and ensures data is accurate; runs reports as requested; audits active
student worker and adjunct faculty lists; assists employees with HRIS tasks such as
password reset and e-signatures.
● Assists with organization of employee events like Years of Service Recognition, Christmas
Party, New Employee Orientation, open houses, Blue Zones events, and others.
● Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and
recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance.
● Actively develops relationships within the University in all departments.
● Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies
in human resources, talent management, and employment law, including maintaining
and/or obtaining a Human Resources Certification.
● Special projects as assigned.
This list of responsibilities is not exhaustive. The percentages regarding the essential and
non-essential functions of the job are not precise and are only an approximation, which
can vary on a day-to-day basis and are subject to change on an as-needed basis and/or in
the sole discretion of supervisory management. Some holiday and weekend work may be
● Bachelor’s Degree Required
● SHRM or HRCI certification a plus
Experience and Skills:
● At least one year of Human Resource Generalist experience
● Management experience preferred
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
● Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
● Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
● Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
● Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
● Ability to maintain confidentiality.
● Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
● Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
● Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
● Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite or related software.
● Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organizations HRIS and talent
management systems; experience with ADP Workforce Now a plus.
● Duties involve working in a community and office setting and requires
intermittent sitting, standing, climbing stairs, and walking inclines and declines.
● Must be able to lift 20lbs, traverse the campus with ease, climb a lot of stairs,
have excellent motor skills and be able to sit or stand for 30 minutes at a time.
Must have finger dexterity. Must be able to communicate information and ideas
so that others will understand.
VII. Marianist Identity/Native Hawaiian & Pacific Island Serving
An expressed willingness to respect and support the Catholic and Marianist identity of
Chaminade University of Honolulu and to perform all duties in a manner consistent with
Marianist educational values and mission of the University. Understanding of and respect for the
University’s designation as an institution serving students of Native Hawaiian and Pacific Island